Cover #10

Just gonna drop this here because it's day 2 of BHM and I miss the Obamas. #comeback



These two covers are very different. The first thing that separates them is that their is an actual human on the bottom. The cover on the top appears to be a drawing and that hints on the art classes that the students take at Hailsham. When you look closer, it really the "vital organs" that the students will eventually be donating. There's also barbed wire surrounding the organs and that could represent that the students are trapped in a system that their unaware off. There is also trees in the back as well. I imaging Hailsham and the Cottage as being somewhere DEEP in da woods. That choice to have trees in the background feeds my personal imagery. 


On the second cover there was also a use of trees or forest. With their being more sunlight in the area, it has a much more positive connotation. With their being a girl on this cover could bring an idea that she might be the main character. Often times on book covers there isn't the face of the main character and that leaves us as reader's to make up our own mind about the main character. This cover also has more than the title and the author. This could be for a marketing thing so that the book sells more because it has good quotes or comments about the book. 

Top Cover: When looking at this image the first thing I thought was "dark" or "scary". The cover is in black and white and seeing no color does something to the mood especially with the woods in the background. The barbed wires makes me thing of jail though. The organs blend in very well with the title. The font adds to this scary theme as well. If I hadn't read the book I would have known that it was something about the human body. Not that I've read the novel I understand the meaning behind the organs.  The portrayal of the organs and this idea of creativity present in the book can be seen on this cover. The drawing on the cover isn't the most detailed drawing and can relate to Tommy's lack of creativity. There isn't a general overlaying view point.It just hints at the overall theme of the book. This image does spark some ideas about the cultural construct of the book because I do consider cloning and the the science behind it as its own culture. People who are heavily into sci-fi (not sure if that's correct)would read it and produce it. 

Bottom Cover:
When looking at the bottom cover the first word I came up with was "bright". The lighting makes the book seem much more happier than it really is. With the title being the way that it is, it makes it appear as more of a love story and the grass area she's sitting is may have been a secret spot for her and her lil boo. The imagery on the cover is very misleading based on what I KNOW about this book. The cover really has no correlation to the context of the book. Kathy the main character in this case would be the one portrayed and it would also be from her view point. The only thing this book can spark as an idea is the fact that it may be a love story. This misleading cover can be viewed as a good thing because it creates surprise. EVERYBODY loves a good plot twist ya know? People who enjoy chick flicks would create a cover like this. People that would read the book must also be into chick flicks, the notebook and now, Never Let Me Go. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breathing #13

Artist #5

Storytelling #9