Breathing #13


The American Dream is a false hope. What it used to be and what it is now is now is different. The "American 
Image result for anti homeless benchesDream" used to be a more white American thing. And it still might be. It used to be about having the most money and all that good stuff but most of America is living middle class.The American dream can still be having a beautiful house and a nice car or family. A true American dream is low unemployment. Having low numbers in terms of homelessness. Allowing lgbtq equal rights. Allowing the African-American and Latina community equal opportunity instead of oppressing them. Allowing cultural and religious diversity. Embracing what makes the world unique. Wealth to me is making 70k or more. And to richer people that's low but to me that's more than what I have now. It's enough to make sure my moms straight and its enough to give back to my community ya know? *shrugs* America is about greed. It was created on greed. When you become more greedy then you become more inclined to gain wealth. The most wealthy people of America got that way by being selfish. Everything was a "me me me" thing and not an US thing. Wealth is ranked as one of the more important things in America. People constantly compare themselves to richer people and attempt to follow in their footsteps to improve their living condition. Poverty isn't taken as serious as it should be. America's veterans are homeless and instead of helping the homeless the government would much rather build benches with spikes that keep the homeless from sleeping there. #wow There is a lack of compassion within the nation. We never care about the issues that others experience until it happens to us. Until it happens to our kids, our future, our house, our money. I feel for the people in poverty. It's not an easy things and it's hard to get out of poverty when you don't have the resources. The rich. Can't stand them. I like Oprah tho. That's my home girl. But still, I'm not a fan of the greedy rich people. I'm a fan of the rich people that give back to the community, put kids in college and get them out the streets. I.E. (King James, Magic Johnson, Big Sean, J. Cole, etc...) The American Dream needs to be more than just being rich. It should be sharing the wealth, giving to the poor, helping the elderly and educated kids. In the 1920's it was all about the cars, clothes and the houses. But this isn't the 1920's anymore. Some of America is in major need. The faster we improve that the faster we can create a new American Dream. *mic drop pt. 2*

Comments

  1. People truly don't know what's going on until it happens to them. I do it as well because you cannot experience a sitaution youve never been in. With all of these shootings and muders, I will never experierence the trauma and heartache unless it occurs to me. People in foreign countries view America as one of the best countires until they come here and live paycheck by paycheck, see that you cannot fully achieve the "American Dream" until you are dead, helping your children achieve this dream because they know they never will. The rich are not the bad people nor are the poor. Some may not take advantage of their situation (such as the rich giving back or the poor going out to fight for oppertuinities). America in genral is not fair and will never be just due to this segregation of the rich and the poor, minorties vs majority. We can alter the American Dream like you said by giving people a new goal. Rather than wealth in terms of money, people achieve wealth in knowledge but sadly I dont think that will ever be possible since America is just declining as well as the world as a whole. This is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really liked your perspective on how even though the American Dream still has to do with wealth it is possible for this wealth to be used for good. I agree with you on the ironic way we treat our veterans; these supposedly celebrated citizens end up suffering financially and left to cope with PTSD. I was blown away by the dividers for the benches, the fact that cities treat the homeless with such inhumanity is appalling. I wish everyone shared your dream of giving to charity and helping those less fortunate, but the sad reality is most of these people with wealth tunnel vision on their world and issues. Think about us in IB (outsiders think we are privileged in school and they are probably right) but we have little perception of how academic, honors, and AP students are coping. I guess my American dream is that these fortunate people wake up from their perfect little worlds are realize there are a world of opportunists to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved reading this because your perspective is always so personal and honest. What I first found interesting is how you said the American Dream is a white person thing. Agreed. But I think it is interesting because somehow the term "American Dream" is associated with immigration and opportunity for all despite who they are/their background. You demonstrated that clearly isn't true, so I wonder how the concept was even created based on equal opportunity. I also love your own personal American Dream about the unemployed, the homeless. lgbtq, Latino, and African American rights. I wonder if your American Dream will ever be a reality in the US. I find it hard to believe but if people like you keep making their voices heard and standing up to intolerance than I think we will be a lot closer to that dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My my my. This blog post really did hit. I loved reading your perspective. I feel it 100% and relate to it. I too feel the sense of false hope and the thought of it being only reality to those who can gain from it.. but where is the little bit of possibility or of hope? It can only change and be present if we do something about it ya know? I'm right behind you Chapman, I am. Let's be the change and bring in the positives. America does need change and it needs it asap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Artist #5

Storytelling #9