Don't Hyde #8
H: He is not easy to describe...,and yet I really can name nothing out of the way.
Alright... Here we go:
I think that excerpt describing Hyde was a good one because he's one of those mysterious people that too many people in my generation strive to be. Can't be mysterious if everybody knows you have 10 boyfriends Judy. Anyway, his appearance as a character may have a lot to do with this description of him. The people that are the hardest to describe are the ones that fall into the different kinds of people that we categorize in our minds. We categorize people based on looks, personalities or activities that they do. I imagine Hyde as being this axe commercial kinda guy ya know? In the female mental space its something sexy about hiding or something. Utterson once punned on his name: "Well, if he is Mr. Hyde, I will be Mr. Seek." Weirdo... In all actuality Hyde isn't the best cat to be around (hints his little trampling frenzy). He is pretty much a physical representation of what evil is and he brings out the worst in others just by his presence. He's that one friend nobody takes anywhere because they don't know how to act. Jesus bro. No one really cares about his thoughts and feelings because he tramples people... I wouldn't care either. What we do know is that throughout the book his evil side intensifies. You're not you when you're hungry. *shrug emoji*
Jekyll my main man is a scientist who's pretty much popular for being smart. Sorry IB kids, we aren't gaining any social rep for killing ourselves. Jekyll is Calvin Klein commercial cute. My bro is handsome ok? He was respected by all that knew him. He has conversations with himself about how he might have been too soft. Maybe like the good guy that never gets the girl. He confesses some personal things and realizes how these personal things could screw his career. He was soooooo freaking smart that he created that ridiculous potion to get rid of that nice guy thing. What I caught on to is that the man that Jekyll wanted to be: kinda mean and brutal was really that maniac Hyde. Hyde started appearing while he was on this drug like potion. Ultimately that potion acts as a drug and he metaphorically od'd and killed himself.
Poem:
A man like me.
H:You're and idiot for wanting to be like me, one that has darkness and hides amongst the trees
J: You're an idiot for wanting to be like me, the nice guy you see. All I wanted was..
Both: respect
H: but all I got was neglect
Both: a mysterious man
J: that no one took the time and listened to
H: or took the time to understand. You and I are...
J: Different?
H: Yes absolutely different.
You think you're mysterious but I know you're not.
I see how you move and walk down these blocks.
The man that's so smart but too stupid to see that you should never want to be a man like me.
Both: But i've done things I'm not proud of.
Done things I won't share.
J: But the things that I've done could ruin my career.
I look like I'm together but I'm really not.
You pull one string and unravel the not.
That's why I wanted to be a man like you becuase at least the killer instict would be true.
Both: A man they could fear
One they would hear
J: I got addicted to this feeling and was too dumb to see that you should be the one that wanted to be a man like me.
*DROPS MIC AND LAPTOP*
J: Now that that evil influence..., and the knowledge is more than he can bear.
Alright... Here we go:
I think that excerpt describing Hyde was a good one because he's one of those mysterious people that too many people in my generation strive to be. Can't be mysterious if everybody knows you have 10 boyfriends Judy. Anyway, his appearance as a character may have a lot to do with this description of him. The people that are the hardest to describe are the ones that fall into the different kinds of people that we categorize in our minds. We categorize people based on looks, personalities or activities that they do. I imagine Hyde as being this axe commercial kinda guy ya know? In the female mental space its something sexy about hiding or something. Utterson once punned on his name: "Well, if he is Mr. Hyde, I will be Mr. Seek." Weirdo... In all actuality Hyde isn't the best cat to be around (hints his little trampling frenzy). He is pretty much a physical representation of what evil is and he brings out the worst in others just by his presence. He's that one friend nobody takes anywhere because they don't know how to act. Jesus bro. No one really cares about his thoughts and feelings because he tramples people... I wouldn't care either. What we do know is that throughout the book his evil side intensifies. You're not you when you're hungry. *shrug emoji*
Jekyll my main man is a scientist who's pretty much popular for being smart. Sorry IB kids, we aren't gaining any social rep for killing ourselves. Jekyll is Calvin Klein commercial cute. My bro is handsome ok? He was respected by all that knew him. He has conversations with himself about how he might have been too soft. Maybe like the good guy that never gets the girl. He confesses some personal things and realizes how these personal things could screw his career. He was soooooo freaking smart that he created that ridiculous potion to get rid of that nice guy thing. What I caught on to is that the man that Jekyll wanted to be: kinda mean and brutal was really that maniac Hyde. Hyde started appearing while he was on this drug like potion. Ultimately that potion acts as a drug and he metaphorically od'd and killed himself.
Poem:
A man like me.
H:You're and idiot for wanting to be like me, one that has darkness and hides amongst the trees
J: You're an idiot for wanting to be like me, the nice guy you see. All I wanted was..
Both: respect
H: but all I got was neglect
Both: a mysterious man
J: that no one took the time and listened to
H: or took the time to understand. You and I are...
J: Different?
H: Yes absolutely different.
You think you're mysterious but I know you're not.
I see how you move and walk down these blocks.
The man that's so smart but too stupid to see that you should never want to be a man like me.
Both: But i've done things I'm not proud of.
Done things I won't share.
J: But the things that I've done could ruin my career.
I look like I'm together but I'm really not.
You pull one string and unravel the not.
That's why I wanted to be a man like you becuase at least the killer instict would be true.
Both: A man they could fear
One they would hear
J: I got addicted to this feeling and was too dumb to see that you should be the one that wanted to be a man like me.
*DROPS MIC AND LAPTOP*
something happened with the sizing sorry : (
ReplyDeleteI really like your poem!! I like what you did with the rhyming because I think it emphasizes how similar they are, or at least are at some points. I also like that you looked at the theme of respect because I saw it as such an important part of why each of them acted the way they did. You do a really good job of showing Jekyll's struggle which was really cool too
ReplyDeleteLove the poem! Some good points here, but I wish you had done a bit more with part one- incorporating textual evidence, really diving into the passages to look at how Stevenson presents both characters. Be carefully that you are not just providing surface level analysis- look closely at the text provided (so the passages) to really pick apart what is important and why.
ReplyDelete