What's in a name? #2

    First off, let me just say my name is one of the greatest out yet it is one of the MOST misspelled names. Starbucks spells it wrong, my family spells it wrong, my friends spell it wrong, my teachers spell it wrong. Even my doctor spells it wrong. If I was able to collect one dollar for every person that has spelled my name wrong from June 15th, 2000 to right now, I'd be many steps closer to being rich in my lifetime. Jalyn is a unisex name, luckily. As a kid I was often told "oh that's a boy name." At that age I was unaware of how ignorant the world around me really was. I remember talking to my mom about my name and she told me that it was unisex and explained what the word really meant. I began to cherish my name and become comfortable with my name. It's a popular name in America but also in the Netherlands. In Hebrew it means " a sweet harmony." I find this interesting because ain't nothing sweet about me. Hardcore, bad to the bone, way too cold, way too wavy.
    Talking to my mom years down the road, I found out the true context of my name. The doctors actually thought I was a boy while my mom was pregnant. My grandfather was excited to have a grandson in a family where girls are more popular.Well, we know how that one turned out. Sorry pop. So she gave me the name Jalyn. My grandfather's name is James and my aunt's name is Janelle. To keep this similar track of J's going, I was named Jalyn since I wouldn't be named James Chapman like my grandfather. I would like to keep the line of J's going when I hopefully have a son. 
    Growing up one of the most popular things about me was my hair. My freshman year in High School I was given the name "Wavy J" because I had wavy, curly hair. And I just kept it. It's everywhere. My instagram user name, snap chat other social media accounts. It became something I was known for. For some reason, I associate Wavy J with the qualities of me. Like the artistic abilities I have. The music producer in me. The cool kid. The girl that's fly in her own way. The girl that rides her own wave and doesn't bite the swag of another wave. I'm known for going against the grain and that's what Wavy J means to me. That I have my own personal wave and nobody rides that wave but me. It represents the fact that I'm an introvert as well. On the other hand I'm just Jalyn. That's the exclusive side of me and not very many see that side. My mom calls me Jalyn, my significant other (if I had one) would call me Jalyn. Or at least I would allow it so there's an understanding that I would treat them much different from how I treat everybody else. Even my family calls me Jalyn (with a list of childhood nicknames that will not be named). They'd never have to call me Jay. It's not exclusive like my real name is. So, Wavy J or Jay is the side of my most people see. Jalyn, my real name is the side that very few see. It's rare. Important. Exclusive. Hidden. 




Comments

  1. I loved reading yours, for so many reasons. First off, I've known you since I can remember. I once was one who misspelled your name, but I got it and look at where we are now! Lol. I enjoy how you describe your name and how it describes who you are. The story of how it was even chosen for you, I learned something new today. Personally I feel like what you say is true. If I thought of the name Jayln, I would think of something "basic" I guess you could say. But Jalyn, it makes me think of who you are. Then again, I may just be too use to you. Love you lots

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breathing #13

Artist #5

Storytelling #9